Thursday, February 7, 2013

DIY Many Moons Sweater

I love crafting with materials I already have on hand :)

A few days ago, I brought new life to a boring blue-gray sweater with some fabric paint ! I found this men's sweater at Goodwill for 6 dollars- it's by Banana Republic, and is made of 100% merino wool so it is quite warm and cozy.

Despite its coziness, I still thought it was a little bland, so to spice it up I began thinking of ways I could embellish it. I could sew on some lace, or elbow patches, or buttons...or I could paint a design onto it. I finally settled on painting the lunar phases :)

Before

After ! :)
 First I sketched out many moons on a sheet of thick card paper.(Many Moons is also the title of one of my favorite childhood books, by James Thurber.)  Using an Xacto blade, I cut out the shapes to make a stencil. I had a small bottle of white fabric paint left over from the DIY Garuda shirt project, so I just used a small paintbrush to dab spots of paint onto the shirt. Since the moon isn't really a fully white orb, I left some blank spots where the grayish-blue of the sweater could show through, thus making the craters and shadows.

here is a better picture

and a close-up of the design !

For those of you who are like me (I had to look this up online) and might be a little rusty with your lunar phases, they are as follows: young moon, waxing crescent, waxing quarter, waxing gibbous, and full; the second row is full, waning gibbous, waning quarter, waning crescent, and old moon.

No comments:

Post a Comment