Sunday, November 4, 2012

Nothing Better.

Because I'm an English major and I love words, one website that I occasionally visit is BetterthanEnglish.com. Guests submit their favorite notably untranslatable foreign words, and their best attempts at explaining them in layman English. Submissions often range from odd trivia, to words that span the entire human emotional spectrum and beyond. 

One such post from awhile back was a word known in the 1993 Guinness Book of World Records as the "most succinct word" in existence, because of its emotionally loaded definition. 


It is a touching and beautiful word to those observing on the outside, and a rather uncomfortable word to those actively engaged in it. Now I am sure many of you have experienced such a feeling before, and it is a difficult and complicated thing to process. You wonder, you look away. They wonder, they sit in silence. What am I waiting for, am I a coward ? What are you thinking ? Are you thinking the same thing I am thinking ? Do you ever wonder how you got to here ?

Then one day, one person takes the awkward initiative. One word leads to one response, then two statements, then three, then five, eight, thirteen, twenty-one... and before you know it, you've found yourself in a Fibonacci spiral of feels. 

Yup, life can really throw you for a loop sometimes... 

...and this is definitely one of those times. I never even imagined that we could ever arrive at this point... but this is here, and now, and there is nothing better. The feeling of mamihlapinatapai may be succinctly elaborate, but I'm sure it has nothing on the feeling that comes immediately after the turn. 

However, this is a rather recent posting on BetterthanEnglish, that I just noticed today. I think it speaks for itself quite well. 


Coming from a native-speaking Mandarin background, this is a word that, unlike the previous, I am actually familiar with. And I think that gives me the authority to say that the above definition isn't perfectly accurate either... but then again, I suppose the whole point is that there is a sort of beauty in its undefineability. 

However, if I was to add my own second definition, I would state that it is the joy that comes from pouring your feelings to your best friend, and having them fill your cup in return. 



No comments:

Post a Comment