Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The 2012 UCI Medal- A Celebration of Stars



 A few weeks ago, I had the privilege of spending an evening in the gorgeously transformed grounds of the Bren Events Center, volunteering at the annual UCI Medal. Upon entering the building, I could not even believe that I was inside the Bren. The last time I was in the building was for my own commencement ceremony back in June, and it was completely unrecognizable.

Of course, my camera phone does not do the interior justice.
A luxe white carpet ushered guests into the lobby, where they were greeted by a small waterfall, bouquets of white orchids, and shimmery, peach-colored satins. The inside of the gymnasium was even more beautiful; the room was filled with a hundred round tables, each perfectly set with formal diningware and accented with long, cylindrical vases of white florals. Long, tasseled curtains were hung from the ceiling, creating a tenuous wall of white fabric between the banquet hall and the dancefloor. Faux chandeliers made of large gold sequins were hung from the ceiling, reflecting glittering lights across the room as they turned slowly in the air. Even the restrooms were decorated to fit the theme, with smooth river stones lining the sinks, and glass orbs hanging from the ceiling, each housing one or two delicate flowers.

Yes, I took a photo of the ladies' restroom
I can only think to describe the Medal as the Nobel Awards of UCI, a chance to recognize the greatest contributors to the success and prestige of the University. As a student ambassador with AAN I was not formally invited as a guest, but as a volunteer, and was thus committed to being on my feet and on call for the duration of the event. I had no issues with this at all, however, as I was still able to experience much of the glamor of the night, as well as engage with various attendees while carrying out my duties.

As photo assistants, Kevin and I were among the first guests to see the medalists. Upon their arrival they were ushered into a private photo room to have portraits taken with their friends, colleagues, and of course, their medals. I got to meet Chancellor Drake's very charming wife for the first time, as I held onto some of her personal belongings- a plain black tweed clutch, and a navy blue folder containing drafts of her husband's speeches- during the picture taking sessions.

The entire night proceeded like a charm. Entertainment was provided by UCI's very own, as musicians, dancers, and singers from the Claire Trevor School of the Arts took to the stage to present their tributes to all our University stands for- light, leadership, innovation- through song and dance.

Official UCI photo
The most emotional moment of the night for me was hearing the very poignant and thankful speech given by medal recipient Professor Elizabeth Loftus. She began by recounting her experiences at her previous school, and the often difficult nature of her line of research. True, heartfelt appreciation for the nurturing and supportive environment of UCI showed through as her voice cracked, explaining how even as a young University, UCI not only accepted but fervently supported her research findings. Now one of the most celebrated professionals in the field of psychology and memory, Professor Loftus still cried tears of joy as she proudly exclaimed how glad she is to be part of such an inspiring community of University colleagues and students.

It was not only the words of her speech itself that touched me, but also the fact that her words made me look back at my own experience at UCI. In my second year, I took an Honors Social Science course that touched upon the research of Professor Loftus. I remembered staying up a few late nights in ripped sweatpants and t-shirts, furiously studying her texts for an upcoming exam... Learning about the great strides she had made in the field: planting memories, getting people to vividly describe things that never happened, and dramatically transforming the way witness questioning is performed and recorded.

Now, over two years later, I am sitting in black-tie formal attire, in a luxuriously decorated room that once held a thousand of my fellow Humanities colleagues and their families, listening to a moving speech by the very same inspiring woman whose works I pored over in the dim light of my VDC Norte bedroom... and I experienced such a feeling of fulfillment, as if things had come full circle.

How great it is that UCI so enthusiastically supports its own, and makes its students aware of the amazing work that is done by its professors and faculty... and how great it is that UCI so enthusiastically brings back its sentimental alumna- like yours truly- to experience the pride and joy of the University at such an event as this.

AAN volunteer team



No comments:

Post a Comment