Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Vocabulary Volume #5


People are often surprised to discover that I've never actually read George Orwell's famous dystopian novel 1984. So, to legitimize myself as a real English major, I finally picked up the book and have been thoroughly enjoying it. My love of science fiction and thinky thoughts really comes alive in this eerily foreseeable, paranoia-infused text.

The following are some words I have learned thus far.

         persiflage (n): light and slightly contemptuous mockery or banter

         concertina (n): an older model of accordion

         remonstrance (n): a forcefully reproachful protest

         wainscoting (n): wooden paneling that lines the lower walls of a room

As a graduated English major, I also believe my degree also grants me the authority to make up new words... (whether this really is within my powers is up to you to decide). The following is a term that Lucas and I coined this past week, spawned by his feelings about upcoming medical school interviews. We couldn't think of a particularly fitting word that already existed, so we decided to create one.

         aliloquate (adj). a state of being equally nervous and excited.

For example...

I was feeling very aliloquate before my interview.
The way she was looking at me made me too aliloquate to say anything in return.
Once I was actually on the road, that's when I really began to feel aliloquate.


Please feel free to spread the usage of this word; neologism is a strange and wonderful thing, and should certainly be shared :)



In other news, today is significant because it's the last triple-number-day of this century ! The next time we have another will be January 1, 2101... a date that won't pass in my lifetime, unless some crazy medical advancements are made between now and then.

I wonder what civilization and society will look like on 1/1/2101. Any ideas ?

No comments:

Post a Comment